Hey, Follow Me

Thursday, March 6, 2014

week ten: quick car trash bag tutorial

With 2 snow days this week, I've had plenty of time to craft and clean, but most of the crafting I've been doing is TOP SECRET gift things for different people.  You will see them soon enough.  A few days ago, (this is a scheduled post) I had some time and decided to finally make a much-needed car trash bag for my car. My husband Shea is grateful because he is quite tired of seeing my kleenexes stuffed down into cup holders and across the floor.  Gross, I know, but allergy season is quite unkind to this girl.  This cute, practical bag takes 30 minutes or less.  Enjoy doing a quick project that comes in handy!  
Supplies needed:
-fat quarter of oil cloth (you'll only need 16 x 12 1/2 in. square)
-at least 12 1/2 in of canvas strap
-cutting mat
-rotary cutter
-ruler cutting guide (not sure of the name, so i made something up!)  
-thread
-sewing machine


1. Measure a rectangle 16 x 12 1/2 inches and cut it out.


2. Use a fun contrasting color of thread.  I picked red.
n
3. Pin the top to hem approx 3/4 in.  Oil cloth can't be ironed and this is a good way to keep it down to sew.

4. Fold fabric over and sew around leaving top open.


5. Box corners by folding corner fabric into a triangle and sew stitch across closing both corner off. This creates a flat base for the bag.

6. Sew straps on by pinning each while bag is reversed to opposite sides.  I just sewed a Z because the opening of the bag was narrow and piles of kleenexes aren't heavy, so it should be secure.

I'm using mine on my shift gear.  (Sara's great idea!)  You could also hang yours on an arm rest or in the backseat of your car.  You could make the strap snap and hang it from a head rest..the possibilities are endless!  


I'm so pleased with how it turned out!  Hope you enjoy making one for yourself!

Shared on these linky parties and additional ones on sidebar:
http://www.gluedtomycraftsblog.com/2014/03/crafty-thursday-obsessions-week-10.html#more
http://diyshowoff.com/category/other/diy-project-parade/

No comments:

Post a Comment